Saturday, January 1, 2011

70/30 - the healthy new year's resolution for everyone!

The CDC found that the average US resident eats only half the recommended daily fruit and vegetable intake of five or more servings per day. Only 26 percent of US adults eat three or more servings a day. These figures are almost identical to data collected in 2000.
I was a little surprised that in the last decade more people have not stepped up their intake of veggies - I mean with the McDonald's and Wendy's salads and all. To be honest, the only thing that sounds good to me after all the Christmas starches, cooked, prepared and re-nuked foods I had over the last few weeks - is raw fruits and veggies. I am just recovering from a stomach virus - which I have affectionately named, "a forced fast". But what a way to kick off the new year!
I am a big advocate of raw foods (no I don't mean just sushi). Am I a good cook? Not really...and I'm great with that. It is best to eat as much raw and enzyme-alive/active food as possible. A good rule of thumb is to do 70/30. The 70 is for raw fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts. The other 30 -go with lean grilled meats (preferably fish or foul), legumes, steamed veggies etc.
So if you're looking for a positive lifestyle change for today or are one to make those decisions at the top of a year - go 70/30.

No comments:

Post a Comment