Monday, May 21, 2012

Oil Pulling for DETOX

Since last week I've added a new simple regimen to my daily detox routine.  Oil pulling.  It's a centuries old technique and considered to be rooted in Ayurvedic medicine.  (Ayurvedic is ancient Hindu art of medicine and prolonging life).  I opted for coconut oil as I feel it is the most pleasant.  Plus of all the research on oils, heating them causing toxicity, etc. coconut oil is THE one to use - not just for oil pulling but for everything.  I've done many liver and gallbladder flushes where you have to drink loads of olive oil and I pretty much gag at the sight and smell of it.  Grapeseed not too bad but overall I'm sticking with coconut.  Must be my deep love of the tropics.
So twice a day I take about a tsp or two of coconut oil by mouth.  If you keep oil at room temp it might be in liquid state but I chill mine because I like it more that way.  Once it warms in your mouth and mixes with your saliva it liquifies anyway.  It's hard not to swallow -but you swish around your mouth for at least 5 to 15 minutes.  Then spit it out (not in sink or potty as it could clog plumbing).  You do not swallow it.  Why?  Well... it's pulling toxins from your body. 
When I was young, my parents took me to a Chinese herbalist in Calgary and the first thing he looked at was my tongue to get an idea of what was going on internally.  Kinda weird to a kid.  But your mouth is full of germs and your tongue also has meridian points that link to organs throughout body - it is believed that it not only pulls germs from immediate surfaces of mouth but pulls from throughout the body's organ systems as well. 
I've had major dental issues over the last several years and my kids keep me at arm's length because my breath is so "nasty".  So... this morning after several days of pulling I noticed that my breath is not as offensive.  Good sign that the toxins are not lingering!
Anything that will ease the burden on the immune system I am all for.  Oil pulling also helps with:
  • Whiter teeth
  • Healthy gums
  • Clear sinuses
  • Decrease in allergy symptoms, asthma & PMS symptoms
  • Increase in energy
  • Better sleep
  • Clearer skin
  • Regulated menstrual cycles

No comments:

Post a Comment