Friday, September 16, 2011

Wealth & Hellness or Health & Wellness?

I was getting tongue tied this morning while trying to say, "health and wellness" and what I actually said is what truly describes the painful experiences I have heard about from family and friends this week. Too many people are trading a life of health and wellness for one of wealth and "hellness".
We all know that money doesn't buy happiness and the love of it is the root of all evil. But I'm not just talking about money here. For some, wealth is oftentimes tangible - what we "got" - house, car, savings, fashion trends - but I'd like to also include job title, who we associate with, goals we've achieved, etc. There is nothing wrong with any of these things as long as it's not what we find our purpose and identity in...and not what we think we did in order to get.
I want to challenge you to check your level of humility and how that affects your self concept, esteem and identity. Some might automatically think that having humility or being humble means being lowly. Instead, I want to challenge you to see that every little cell in your body and every little accolade you have accomplished -all came from -and because of- the one who created you.
True humility comes when you're dead to self and alive to God. It manifests when your own self-interests are gone, and you're focused only on the purposes of God.
With that in mind I think our motives for what we do with our day, how we treat others and how we see ourselves as well as others will be modified. It's no longer about me or because of me. It's a mindset or belief system that will transform you from wealth and hellness to health and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment